Thursday, March 15, 2012

Naturally...

I couldn't resist including this photo before the memories of winter completely faded away. Even though we had a very mild winter I was able to sneak in a few shots of snow before it was all daffodils and robins. 

I know there are a lot of people out there already making all natural cleaners, deodorants, etc. for their home. Not only is this an excellent way to save money but it's also great for you and the environment and I feel better about things if I know it is better for me and my family.
Here are a few recipes I have really found to be perfect for what I am looking for.


Shampoo

For the longest time I have wanted to get away from commercial shampoos. I have curly hair which gives me an added motivation because curly hair is really effected by the sulfates and additives in shampoo.  I tried to make a few shampoo bars and although this is still my end goal I am not yet happy with the ones I have created. My hair longs for moisture and gets tangled very easily so anything that is even slightly drying instantly created a matted mess. Right now I use a conditioner that is sulfate-free. Target has quite a few that make this claim and so far I am getting by with it. 

So here's the shampoo recipe I've been using:

1/4 cup Distilled Water
1/4 cup liquid castille soap (I use Dr. Bonners Almond and every time I use it on the boys Christopher exclaims, "It smells like cherries!!")
1/2 tsp. jojoba or grapeseed oil

Wipes Solution

Another thing I've been doing is making my own solution to pour over some old burp clothes and rags and use these as washable wipes. I love it because not only does it cut down on trash and unknown chemicals that are contained in commercial wipes but also I put a bit of oil so that it moisturizes while it cleans. There are a lot of websites that contain many different recipes for making your own wipes. If you want to check out more you can go here Zany Zebra Designs

Here is the recipe I've been using:

1 Tbsp. Almond Oil
1 Tbsp. Dr. Bonners liquid castille soap
2 drops Tea Tree EO
1 drop Lavender EO
1 cup Distilled Water

Deodorant

The next step is to make my own deodorant. Before I had Eliza my sister-in-law made some for me and I really like it. The only down side at this point is that I am digging it out of a glass jar with a spoon. This process is a bit on the messy side. The frustrating thing is that it is almost impossible to find an eco friendly container for stick deodorant. I like to stay away from plastic as much as possible but in spite of countless research I can't seem to find an alternative when it comes to deodorant. If I can't find a plastic alternative I might just go with a body powder that serves as a deodorant. Until then here is the recipe both she and I use and I must say it is excellent! Much better than the over the counter natural alternative.

She suggests equal parts
Baking Soda
Cornstarch (or Arrowroot powder)
Coconut Oil

I am still in the process of fine tuning this recipe but for now this is working great! It is thick enough to go into a tube so you can put it right in a used deodorant tube as well.

I would love to hear some more great recipes or links for all of you! Please post in the comments what you have discovered or used effectively.







No comments: