Friday, February 19, 2010



My husband and I have been enjoying a "date night" since the first week of our marriage (well, maybe the 2nd week since our honeymoon doesn't really count). During the first carefree year we spent some of our date nights putting together puzzles (something that might seem a bit like an activity at sunshine manor but hey, we like puzzles), playing games, reading books out loud (mostly Ben reading to me since he does all the voices so wonderfully. As our lives have become much more complicated it become a bit more difficult to muster up the energy for a puzzle or game but I still find myself looking forward to it more than ever. No finances, phone calls, studying; just us a movie or game, candles and wine...

Last night was our pizza and movie night and the movie of choice was "Bright Star" (the new movie about John Keats). After our children were tucked nicely in bed with books and flashlights in hand we settled into our movie. As we drifted into the lives of John Keats and his love I found myself more powerfully gripped by the summer breeze that swept through their windows, the blooming fields, apple blossoms and days with the windows open, or moments lying in a green field, catching butterflies and just breathing in nature. It was then that I was struck by how deeply I long for spring. We have had snow covered landscapes for at least a month if not more.



There is something deathly still about winter, when the snow is falling. It is perfectly still, sometimes eerie and yet beautiful. Soon the snow goes from beautiful pure white to brown...dirty, sooty and full of exhaust and oil.

How I long for green. For blossoms. That first gust of fresh air that seems to enliven everything it touches. The birds that return to sing their hearts out in praise of the beauty that returns to our dull white surroundings.

New life we await thee....

4 comments:

brite said...

Yesterday it was in the upper 30's and it felt balmy! I had visions of Spring and we, too, long to just run around in the yard!

glamb said...

This is why I have always loved daffodils. They always bloomed even before all the snow was gone and were such a promise of warmer weather to come.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristin said...

I hear ya! I've been having fun buying seeds, planning our new deck decor, etc. Anything to make spring and days of fresh air and sunshine feel a little bit closer! Have a great week, ~Kristin