Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Finds: The Reader

Reading is very much on my mind this morning. We had our monthly book club meeting last night and it inspired me for today's post.

I wasn't always considered to be a reader. In fact during much of my high school years I was branded as a non-reader. Most of this was due to the fact that I turned away from fiction, not having found any that truly inspired and challenged me. I mostly found myself interested in research and let's just face it, even if you are really interested in non-fiction it is not the type of thing that grips you so much you find yourself captivated into the wee hours of the morning.

Most of my college education was permeated by theology and non-fiction so even as the world of classic literature was gradually being opened to me I didn't have the time to dedicate to its discovery. When I met and married my English major husband, I decided that I would make it one of my goals to travel into the world of fiction (mostly by way of the classics).

Now I am finding that as much as my desire to have a book in hand has grown immensely my time is much more dominated by other things (such as my family). I have to grab tiny snippets here and there. Book club has helped motivate me to stick with a book long enough to complete it. I can comfort myself with the knowledge that I will be finishing at least one book a month. Unfortunately my bedside table and many of my bookshelves are filled with books that have my bookmark in them waiting patiently to be picked up again.

Therefore this Friday Finds is dedicated to the reader.

__________________________

_______________________________

________________________________

____________________________

_____________________________

___________________________

___________________________

___________________________

2 comments:

judÄ— said...

Wow... just LOVE this blog! And such great items you've found.. I'm in love with the glasses necklace! As an avid reader myself, I thank you for including my photograph pendant bookmark :)

Louise said...

Wonderful, beautiful mix of delicious things! How does one climb into a computer screen armed with a giant net? :/